Tuesday, April 29, 2014

C2E2 2014


Golly gee whiz, Clark, this convention has gotten huge!



Seriously, it's now taking up as much space in McCormick place as the Chicago Auto Show, which is the largest in the world.



My one real knock was, with three times the space and visitors as last year, they still had a dinky little counter for freebie items like preview comics and novelty items. Cmon! You could have two or three of those going instead of making people climb over each other!



Still, it was COOL. There are tons and tons of people in costumes, some of them are VERY good. The David Tenet Doctor Who and lady Weeping angel were just awesome, and as you can see, our svelte Superman and Wonder Woman were a beautiful couple.



There must have been forty autograph booths, including Stan Lee of Marvel Comics fame.
I think there were at least fifteen booths selling actual comics, and at least a hundred selling merchandise of all sorts. I picked up four Marvel and DC poster-size cover prints signed by the original artist, Neil Adams, right on the spot. I got the cover of Galactus, the original Green Arrow & Green Lantern team-up, and in honor of my Honey, Wonder woman.


There were about twenty tattoo artists doing super ink.


I'm pretty sure they had sixty or more artists' booths.



There were panel discussions, lectures, and art demonstrations.



The ice cream cart was quite popular.



I went with three of my friends: Tom, Thom, and Robert. We met at Uncle Bub's barbeque in Westmont (where the rib tips are like a religious experience) and drove into the city together after eating like hungry dwarves! We had quite an adventure together.



Still, my favorite is watching the people in costume, and they are still gracious about posing for photos. (A C2E2 tradition)
All in all, it was a thoroughly fun afternoon.

Now, off in the Tardis, before a Dalek gets me!



Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment